Quote of the Week

I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.

Maya Angelou

Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Good Books!

There is nothing like getting lost in a good book. I haven't had a chance to read much lately and I honestly miss it. I find that I can't read and craft at the same time. Both are all consuming for me. I have to do one or the other. Right now my MOJO is somewhat absent so I should just read.

I worked the book fair last night and my kids got the cards I made for them. Inside was a ticket worth $10 towards books. It doesn't matter what amount I offer to them because they always dig into their piggy banks to get more books. I am extremely happy this year because my son has finally found a joy in reading. He has always struggled. I have to give credit to a series of books by Dan Gutman called My Weird School Series. These books are easy to read and FULL of kid humor. My son begs to be able to read one more chapter and has asked me to wake him up early in the morning so he can read. THAT is a first! So if you know a child, especially a boy, that isn't into reading, offer these books. I bet they will make reading a little more exciting.

My card today is the one I made for my son. I am not that thrilled with this guy's hair. I can't wait for my Copics class! I used the sketch from 2 Sketches 4 You. Each week I lurk at their website hoping to participate and never get the chance. Do you lurk at blogs and websites too? I am trying to be better about leaving comments and participating in things. I think I "lurked" on Splitcoast for about 2 years before I ever posted anything I made:) Anyways, this is a fun sketch and I hope to play with it again.

I used the I Heart Books set again from My Favorite Things. I am in love with the little "bookworm" image. This also uses some paper from The Digichick called Our Story. Those stars were an afterthought. I had embossed them with my cuttlebug and then found that the star punch I have by Jolee fit perfectly to punch them out.

I just wanted to show the very plain inside because of the pocket. I used more Digichick paper called CLICK to create the envelope that held the little ticket. On the left I had temporarily adhered the bookmark I made. It is not pictured because it is being USED:)

What's In It?
Stamps: I Heart Books (MFT), Retro Backgrounds (PTI)
Ink: memento Black, versamark, Time Holtz Distress Vintage Photo
Paper: Pure Poppy(PTI), Click and Our Story (Digichick), white, cream
Other: Twill, vintage brads, stars EF, cuttlebug, Jolee star punch, Copics


I'm off to head to the school again. It is Grandparents week and I have to go in and monitor the classroom while the grandparents and kids eat lunch in there. I'm not sure why exactly. I guess in case the grandparents get too wild and decide to tie the children up with their pantyhose and hang them from the ceiling (sarcasm). Then I'm off to crank out letters for the homecoming float and tonight we are finishing up the decorations on the float. No, my child is not in high school. He's only in 3rd grade. I told you- Football is HUGE here. I will have a card for tomorrow because it is almost done. The rest of the week isn't looking so promising.

I'm off to find my brass knuckles...grandparents can be a tough bunch *wink*

7 comments:

Laura Davis said...

Super cute! Thanks for playing at 2S4Y.
Laura

Dotty Jo said...

Love that card Nikki and a big 'woohoo' for all those great comments about reading! Woohooo for those great comments about grandparents too!!! Jo x

cnelson said...

so cute! love the image and the sentiment!

Patti J. said...

Hope you didn't take out too many grannies with those knuckles! Glad you had a good day - your card is adorable!

Giselle said...

Love it..!

Amy C said...

Great card!!

Arielle H Gordon said...

What a cute card - I love it!