Quote of the Week

I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.

Maya Angelou

Wednesday, December 10, 2008

It's been a long time and this post is very long....


I am sorry that I haven't posted much in the last week. I have just been so busy with holiday preparation and extra work. I think everyone is like that though at this time of year. So, I hope you understand. It is most likely not going to get much better til after the first of the year. I am creating, that's for sure. I just can't share yet until my gifts have been received. But, I had to do Kristina's color inspiration. I can't seem to help myself. Even though I have no time. I don't really care for what I created but it comes out of love. I made this for my daughter. She is having some difficulties in a class at school and getting so stressed about it. So, I wanted to make something to stick in her lunch box in hopes that it would encourage her to eat. She hasn't been eating her lunch. So I stuck some food in this little box and will cross my fingers that it is gone when she comes home. She loves fairies and truly believes they come into her room at night. Who's to say otherwise? We should all believe in something magical I think. While this image isn't a true fairy that is what she will see. Anyways, this is for her. She loves purple so I really think it will make her grin from ear to ear. On the back it says "You Sparkle". I hand wrote it. That's why there is no picture.

This was originally going to be a card but when I cut it with my cuttlebug I overlapped the wrong edge of the card and there you have it....2 pieces of die cut cardstock. So, a box transformed instead. ( Also note that I did not use Perfect Plum but Orchid Opulence instead) The base is sage shadow and is cut out with my SU scalloped die cut. I colored this image with creamy caramel, orchid opulence, cert. celery, blush blossom, bordering blue markers and a sakura gelly roll pen. I then added glitter to EVERYTHING. I used the fine cosmo glitter and my MS glue pen. I like Martha's glue pen because you can get into those tiny areas better. I found that out by the uneven coverage I got on the purple glittered area that was glued with my 2 way glue pen. Rhinestones from the Paper Studio were added for extra sparkle. This is all cut out and mounted
with Spellbinders Circle Nestabilities. The scalloped layer is Pale Plum. I also used my Swiss Dots embossing folder for the Sage piece. That little sign that says "Believe" is one of hundreds of little die cuts I got in a clearanced tin.

Here is a closeup:
















I have more to share because it is Work It Girl Wednesday and I didn't forget. So, I created this next piece using some inspiration for Julee's MOJO MONDAY SKETCH. I just happened to come upon her blog and LOVE her designs, inspiration and overall creativity. Go check her blog out. I have to admit though that my sketch is reversed a bit. I was just having issues with how it was working for me and then did a switcheroo and oh, ah, so much better.

My "coloring" stinks. But I really had to do some searching because I didn't have the right colors. So I had to layer the colors a bit. Here is what I did:

I wanted to use my watercolor crayons and only have the Rich Regals set. So I layered several of the blues to get what appears to be Baja Breeze and then did the same with the greens and reds. But I also had to use my watercolor pencils to get the desired look. This tree is from the set Scandinavian Season. I stamped it on Whisper White and then layered on Kiwi Kiss. That is another rhinestone from "the stash" and I also added some stickles to the swirls. The strip of patterned paper is from the DP Ski Slope and that border is baja breeze that was created with a retired SU corner punch. I wrapped a piece of brown ribbon from HL around the whole card. These silver snowflakes are something I had laying around in my button assortment. I tied it on with some silver cording ( retired SU) The sentiment in the left hand corner is from Best Yet. It is inked with Choc Chip Craft and clear embossed. The base of this card is from a pack of ready made cards from DCWV. It was.....you guessed it...CLEARANCED. Have you figured out I am cheap yet?



The last thing I want to share is that I have such fun, fabulous and creative kids....Keep reading for a laugh or at least a smile.

Last Saturday we got some snow. Not a ton mind you but a small dusting. On Sunday, my husband decided it needed to be shoveled. He is a total freak about this and raking leaves. So he asks the kids if they wanted to do it. "YEAH!" was the exhuberant reply. So armed with a shovel and broom ( because that's how little there was to be shoveled) they set to work.












They moved it all into one pile and created a "fort". They set out to collect as much "stuff" as they could to play for almost 3 1/2 hours. They only came in a few times to warm up and get more "things"




They had a blast pretending to be "pioneers" in their words.









Personally, I kept waiting for someone to stop and ask if they were homeless. Don't you love the trash bag flag? Not sure who they are surrendering to...maybe Jack Frost? I love when they get along and play so well. The days are numbered I know. So I treasure these moments. And speaking of homeless people, I don't mean to poke fun. I know there are many who would be happy to have those warm coats and blankets. So, please think seriously of donating to your homeless shelters. Not JUST at this time of year but all year long. Thanks for reading through my proud mommy moments. Have a great day!

nikki

3 comments:

Selene Kempton said...

Very pretty! I love what you did with KW challenge!

Unknown said...

Your fairy box is so cute. Hope your daughter liked it.

Julee (Vervegirl) said...

Beautiful projects! Thanks for playing with my sketch! :)