Quote of the Week

I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.

Maya Angelou

Saturday, January 22, 2011

Happy 10


If you are here to see the MADE FOR HEART Blog Hop Project then please scroll through this post.  THANK YOU!


Happy Birthday!

I have lots of birthdays coming up in the new year and I'm trying to get a jump start on a few.  I find that if I don't make it way ahead of time then I'm scrambling at the last minute.  However, sometimes I FORGET that I made the card or I can't find it.  Ahhh, my life!  But at least I can say that I tried:)


This is a card I made using this week's MFT Sketch challenge.  It's not exactly the sketch, but it's close.  Even though close doesn't count in football, I think it might in Sketch Challenges.  I also made this for my LSS store.  I'm still on the design team there and I got to work with several cute PI images.  That's why you've seen so many on my blog this week.  There really are so cute.


A few details about this card.  First, it's an Easel card done using a variation in size.  The tutorial for that is on Splitcoast HERE





I used Basic Grey Marjolaine papers.  It makes me incredibly happy to take somewhat feminine papers and make a masculine card.  I also used scraps of I Believe Christmas paper as one of the circles.  
My background Prism paper was embossed with the Cuttlebug Star EF.  I also cut out the grass using the MFT Dienamics.  I even dug into my scrapbook supplies and pulled out some stickers to use.  I have had a goal to do more scrapbooking and so you may see a few pages pop up here on the blog.  They may not be very good, but my family will love them.  

 
Alright, now I can share the story of my really bad week.  Remember how I've felt like Charlie Brown?  Well, it's continuing.  I'm not telling you to feel sorry for me.  I'm telling you because I know that one day I will think of all this and laugh.  You have to laugh at yourself.  So, maybe it will make you chuckle.  Somehow, the world is trying to tell me something will all this bad luck.  I just haven't figured it out completely yet.
Here goes...

Last Sunday, my son had some boys spend the night.  They were sooo good.  I decided after taking them home I would clean my husband's truck.  I had been trying to wash it for several days, but was so nervous about driving it through the automatic ones.  I am short, people and his truck is BIG.  I have to sit on something to even see to drive it.  
Twice I have pulled into a line to wash it in the automatic wash and then left because I just felt it was too small and I was worried it would scrap the sides of the truck.

In my little town, everything is little.  The roads are very narrow, the alleys are tiny, the parking lots are small and to my (not so) surprised mind so is the car wash bay.  I decided to just spray wash the darn thing and be done with it.  Well, the bay was so small and one side was a SHEET of ice so I couldn't even step on the passenger's side to wash it.  There is literally enough room for you to extend the small hose out and have just enough room for your body.  As I was pulling out I noticed these big, concrete posts that made the exit seem even smaller.  I was worried that the vehicle would slide on that sheet of ice right into the concrete.  So, I decided to back out instead.  No one was in line behind me. 

I was being sooooooo careful.  Going slow.  Checking my mirrors.  Taking my time. Then I noticed that the truck was hesitating.  Kind of like when you are going too slow over a bump.  You have to give it a bit of gas to get over it.   Well, I figured I was going over a piece of ice and gave it a little gas.  

That's when I watched my side mirror go AIRBORNE and land at the front of the bay.  The hose had hooked onto my mirror as I was backing out and pulled my mirror off.  That was the hesitation.  Now you may be thinking, "Why didn't you move it out of the way.  How could that big hose not be seen or heard as it brushed up against your mirror?"  

First, there was no hook on the wall to keep it out of the way.  I looked.  I know, crazy right?  AND the hose was very thin so I didn't even notice it happening.  AND NO, the car wash would take no responsibility in helping to pay for damages.  

I have never been, nor shall I visit again, such a small, accident- waiting- to- happen, car wash.

I am pretty sure I have never felt so defeated.  They told me if it had happened in the AUTOMATIC car wash THEN they would have PAID.  Oh, the irony.  There are just so many things wrong with that story, don't you think?
 Insurance is handling it.

Then 2 days later, I was taking stuff back to the library in the truck.  As I stuck the library bag in the front seat it clipped the CD that I had been listening to and had just taken out.  It broke....oh yes, THAT was the library's.  So, now I will have to pay for that.

Does anyone see the sign?  Can you help me out?  Trying to stay positive, but it's getting tough.  Yes, I know it could be worse.  I'm hoping it doesn't get that way though.

I had to wait to share that until I told my husband.  He was away at work and I didn't want to stress him out all week.  

My van is getting fixed and I'm pretty sure I'm taking it back:)  It won't matter if it is covered in salt.  It is really old, but it fits my behind to a "T."  Besides, if I yanked off the mirror on that, I'd probably just tape my hand mirror to side and call it GOOD!  (Kidding!...maybe)

Monday is another Blog Hop...don't forget to stop by.  Hoping to have my tutorial up tomorrow.  

One last thing.... Back in December I had to step down as a DT member for DCRU.  With all that was happening to me, I couldn't give everything of myself to them.  Claudia continues to be so supportive of me.  She has changed her store's name to Claudia and Co and she is having a PHENOMENAL sale for Pre-CHA.  I still love that store and support them every chance I get.  Go check it out and land yourself a few GREAT bargains!
 
 Stamps: A Boy and His Football PI, Happiness Message HA
Ink: Memento Black, Vintage Photo
Paper: Marjolaine, I Believe, Prism, Text Black, Xpress Blending
Other: Circle Nesties, star punch, dienamics grass, foam tape, sticker, chipboard stickers, black brads, star EF,
Copics: B0000, BG0000, 18,72, C0,G82, YG11, E51,49,57,55,79, colorless blender, special black
Prismacolor Pencils




7 comments:

Lisa H. said...

LOve your card. those easle cards are so fun to make and love your colors here.

Colleen said...

Love that card, I think guy cards are harder to make but you did awesome.

Anne said...

I love easel cards they are my favorite...this one is very cute 'for a guys card' (which I have to agree with Colleen are hard to make).. the embossed starred background goes great with the foreground paper ... touchdown in my play book.
-anne-

Norma said...

Super cute card!! I love easel cards so fun and easy to make:) TFS I'm also a new follower YAY!! Have fantastic rest of your weekend!
Hugs,
Norma

Tosha Leyendekker said...

Awww Nikki...it has to get better right? This is a new week and a fresh start!! I'll be praying that you have a smooth, creative filled week my friend!

As for the card...super cute!! A "10" for sure!! Love easel cards and this is absolutely darling!! Huge Hugs!!

Jane Starr said...

I love your cards. They are so colorful!

Stacie (craft-princess) said...

Surely nothing else can go wrong....knock on wood!!! Bet it feels like someone is playing a really bad joke on your right? That is how it feels when I have times like this and you know the saying... when it rains it pours! That is so true! Hope ths storm is almost over for you. Chin up!
Hugs!
-Stacie