Quote of the Week

I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.

Maya Angelou

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Thinking Out Of The Box

..........and MAKING a Box

Today I'm going to share a very SIMPLE tutorial on making a box using The Fireplace Card that was released by Creations By AR back in November.  I apologize for the delay.  My life took an unexpected turn.  I'm getting  back into the swing of things.  Again, that you for your patience.

Here is the box and card I made back in November...




To make this box, you will need:

The FIREPLACE CARD TEMPLATE ( printed on copy paper and cut out)
1 ~ 8 1/2 x 11 sheet of cardstock
scissors
bone folder
strong adhesive (Scor tape is what I use)

(I always apologize in advance for the pictures. Fluorescent lighting and one handed photography are a bit tricky:)  You will also note that my hands are in the pictures.  That is to protect the copyright of this template.)

TIP:  CLICK ON PHOTO FOR A CLOSER LOOK


STEP 1.

Place template on the cardstock and trace top and bottom except for the area that has the GIANT "X".

Leave off that part of the template for now.
See Photo Below

 
This is a bad photo...it only shows the top part of the traced template.  Make sure you trace the bottom straight across to the marked point that is shown in the middle photo

Step 2.  Flip the template upside down and line up where you stopped tracing with the marks on the above photo.  (See how I just took the template and flipped it over so that the top is now the bottom?  I hope that makes sense.)


Step 3. Trace the right side of the template.  This is the section that had the BIG "X" on it in the first step.

Step 4.  Cut out this "new" traced template.

It should look like this when you are done .....

Does this make sense?  I hope:)


Step 5. Now lay your original template over the top of the cut out template and score where all the "tick" marks are located.  The exception is the middle marks where I have "x'd" on the picture.   Don't forget to turn it around and score the other tab that is at the bottom of the template too.

( As I was writing this out, I remembered my idea for another way to make this a box and for it you have to score ALL the tick marks on the side, but not at the top of the box....I will show you at the bottom of this post the variation. )


Step 6.  Fold on all score marks and then apply adhesive to the small flap on the left ( see X's) and adhere.



Step 7. This picture shows the bottom closure of the box.  It is optional to apply adhesive here.  However, if you are going to put anything inside with some weight, I would recommend it.  Otherwise, the contents may fall out.


Step 8.  Decorate box:)  or not...the choice is yours.

This box is just the right size to add some mini candy bars or a small bag filled with red hots, M&M's...you get the idea.

Here is the variation of scoring all 3 tick marks for the side.  Then at the top, only score the line closest to the body of the box. 





This creates more of a triangular shaped box from the side.  You could close this by tying with a ribbon or applying a temporary adhesive on the under side.  Put a giant flower in the front and have the tab tuck into it even.  This sample is just a mock up because the paper I used did not score well:)

Please let me know if you have any questions.  My email is on the left side bar.

Have a Fabulous day!



7 comments:

Dotty Jo said...

This is fab Nikki, gorgeous work and a great tutorial. Hope you're hanging in there sweetheart, Jo x

Mandy said...

Thank you for sharing this Nikki, it's a great idea, and one I will definitely have a go at.

Take care,
Mandy

bernietom47 said...

Fantastic! Great tutorial!
Have a blessed day!
Bernie

Crystal said...

These are wonderful Teri, Thanks for the fabby tutorial!!!!

Golda said...

That is cute. Thanks for sharing.

Justine said...

Check you out! I love this! I thought of you today when I was creating my card today.

Kelly Massman said...

How darling!