Quote of the Week

I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.

Maya Angelou

Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Giving "U" A Shellac-ing

No, I'm not yelling at anyone. Well, not at the moment anyway*wink*. Just using a little of one of my favorite products to give some shine to "U". It's Crystal Effects and I love this stuff! It is a multipurpose wonder. I have actually used it to glue the head of my craft hammer onto the wood handle after someone in one of my classes tried "setting" an eyelet. Yep, it's true. It is THAT fabulous and she was THAT mad. So here is my card for Mojo Monday Sketch:

See how shiny that "u" is? We're talking "put on your shades" . I also used the Crystal Effects on the balloons for some dimension and shine. Here is a better view of that:


My card inspiration came from this scrap of DP I found. Sorry, I have no idea who it's made by. I used Brilliant blue for the base. Next I adhered the DP. Finally, I layered Certainly Celery onto Brilliant blue for the strip at the top and bottom. The circles on the Cert. Celery are from the set A Good Egg (SU) and are stamped with versamark ink. I then stamped the balloons from Tag Time (retired) twice in Basic Black and colored with Brilliant Blue and Cert Celery markers. I used baja Breeze ink and my Blender pen to color the balloons as well. I then cut out the second set and mounted them on top of the others with dimensionals. I highlighted some of the stripes, dots and triangles with Crystal Effects. (BTW, if you click on any of my pictures on my blog they will enlarge for a closer view). The celebrate banner was made using the set All About U ( retired) and Bold Brights brads. It bows in the center a bit. The "U" is from some chipboard letters I got at Target' s Dollar Spot. I just traced the shape onto Brilliant Blue cardstock, cut out, adhered and covered in CE. This was then added to a 1 1/4" punched circle of Baja Breeze.

I have one more card to show for my WIGW creation. I got my Verve Stamps in the mail yesterday. I'm going to TOOT Julee's horn a bit. Her shipping is SOOOO fast! I ordered my set on Friday and it shipped out that day! Thanks Julee! She is also gearing up for a new release in March and has a bunch of stuff on sale. Go check it out here.

It was really hard to choose which free set I wanted but I narrowed it down to Beautiful You. I love sentiments and quotes. The Verve fonts are beautiful. I am always so surprised by how well they accept the ink. Here is what I made. It was inspired by Julee and this designer paper by My Mind's Eye.The base is a brown textured cardstock from Hobby Lobby. It is layered with Baja Breeze and then Botanical Swirls DP from MME. I stamped the flower from Beautiful You using SU chalk ink. I stamped it directly onto an extra piece of the DP and then cut it out and layered it onto the card. I used Crystal Stickles to highlight the centers and points on the flower. In my picture it is still wet:( I then stamped the sentiment in Close to Cocoa on the same DP and used my oval Nestabilities to cut it out. It is layered with Baja Breeze CS and my scalloped oval Nesties. I used the Horizontal slot punch on each side of the oval and laced Ivory organdy ribbon through. I then tied Ivory taffetta and organdy with a strip of gold cording around this in a knot.

Here is my tip for getting a perfectly aligned slot for any ribbon. Make a template. Here is a quick look at how to do that.


Using scrap paper, cut out the same shape as what you will be punching. I used Vellum Cardstock so that I could see through it, but you can just use simple copy paper if you like.








Next, fold your template in half and punch. Folding it in half makes sure that the area punched is symmetrical . No lopsided holes:) The great thing about a template? Well, when you mess up you can start over without ruining your entire project. After doing this the first time, I didn't like how far in I punched so I did it again:)






Here is the finished template. Now place this over the piece you want to punch. Turn your punch upside down as in the above picture. Line up the holes and Presto! Hope that helps to take the guess work out of doing any symmetrical punching.





Have a great day and Happy Stamping!

No comments: