Quote of the Week

I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.

Maya Angelou

Thursday, April 2, 2009

Rock and Roll with a Beautiful Butterfly

First thing I NEED to do today is tell you all to LOOK at the MINI CATALOG for Stampin Up. It is located on the left side bar of my blog. Just click on the picture to download the entire mini catalog. It has some really fabulous stuff in there. It's been awhile since I've been this in love with a mini. I wish I could buy almost everything in it. CUTE STUFF! Today my card features one of the sets in there called Great Friend. I think the butterfly image is BEAUTIFUL!
UPDATE: The fact that my card TOTALLY matches by blog is coincidence. Funny though!

I realized the other day I haven't been doing to much in the "new technique" area. I've just been so focused on challenges and deadlines that I haven't played around with doing anything outside of basic stamping and Magic Gamsol. Well, today I used the technique called "Rock and Roll". Now this isn't technically "new," but it's something different. It is very simple and can have some really cool results. Play around with different color combinations. It took me a few tries to find the color combo I wanted on this card. I decided on using Riding Hood Red and Close to Cocoa for the butterfly.

Here are a few things to remember when using this technique:

1. Always ink your stamp with the lightest color first. Then roll the edges with the darker color.

2. I have found that huffing on the stamp after inking with both colors helps to "blend" the colors a bit. Really huff on it well. The moisture from your breath will cause the colors to bleed together just a bit.

3. THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT TIP! Always clean your stamp off before inking up again. This keeps your lighter color stamp pad happy:) I made several of these cards and needed to repeat the butterfly image several times. Clean between each one and you will like this technique much better than if you don't clean between each one. Got it?



Here is a close up of the butterfly. I added Dazzling Diamonds using my Martha Stewart glue pen. I also used a technique called masking. I punched a circle in a scrap piece of paper, then placed the negative part on my stamped image and sponged to create the sun in the upper right hand corner. I also folded my butterfly in half and then put glue down that center fold only to adhere it. That way it looks like the butterfly is flying.

Here is the recipe:

Stamps: Inspired by Nature, Great Friend
Ink: Versamagic Sage, So Saffron, RHR, Close to Cocoa, Choc Chip
Paper: Barely Banana, Whisper White, Old SU DP
Other: Oval Nesties, Dazzling Diamonds, MS Glue pen, sponge, cuttlebug, Pretties Kit, Satin Ribbon, bead glue


That's all I have time for today. Have a good one!

3 comments:

Sprytebyrd said...

Nikki, this is beautiful! I love the colors! That's one of my favorite techniques, even if I don't use it much, I still love it! I love the new mini, too!

Unknown said...

Beautiful card Nikki, fantastic colours and I adore the butterfly.

Joanne x

kathie said...

this looks really great. i need to get a martha pen i think. and i've been using the rock n roll with the tiny trees set i got...especially the leaves tree top.